Jul 18, 2007

city of the big shoulders

In a little over a week, my wife and I will fly to Chicago to visit her side of the family, a trip we would've made last year if it weren't for some unforeseen complications.

Anyone have any must-see or must-do recommendations? We're staying for two weeks and will have a rental car, so anything within a day's drive is fair game. I'm sure we'll hit the Museum of Science and Industry, and we plan to head to Milwaukee for at least a day. What else should be on our agenda?

Help us, Web 2.0, to make this another classically nerd-centric vacation.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Two things: Try and hit up Minneapolis if you can and eat hot dogs out of carts on the street.

Ariel said...

I've consulted my "1,000 Places To See Before You Die" book and the author suggests the Art Institute of Chicago (South Michigan Ave. at Adams St.), Arun's (Thai restaurant-4156 N. Kedzie Ave., Irving Park), Charlie Trotter's (Modern American cuisine-816 W.Armitage Ave.) both look pretty spendy, Chicago's Blues Scene, Frank Lloyd Wright Tour, and Superdawg(diner style restaurant-6363 N.Milwaukee Ave. at Decon and Nagle on the far northwest edge of the city).

If you head up to Wisconsin check out the Dells. My family tells me they're great. Also, check out some Amish stores. They have great homemade products like kitchen supplies, spices, and dried fruits. When I was over there I got a bunch a dried fruit and a bag of little caramel balls for under $10. It was great, especially for the long car rides!

TeacherRefPoet said...

Chicago: Second City. Get tickets now if you can...they sell out.

Milwaukee: Eisner Museum of Advertising. Kicks butt.