Jun 30, 2006

turnaround

Before I head up to Issaquah to help my folks with some cleaning and painting, I thought I'd point out that the Mariners are finally a winning team, and not just in record only. It's one thing to win 10-3 by beating up on bad pitching, but it's another to come back in the top of the ninth after being beaten up by a stellar effort. (For our side, a fine turn by Meche, who gave up two runs, one unearned. Eddie Guardado looked good earning the win, and Putz was Putz.)

My folks are remodeling what was once my grandpa's home, cleaning out mold, painting, replacing countertops, reflooring, adding blinds and new appliances. Outwardly Grandpa would have been furious, but secretly he would have been pleased, for his only real anger in life was reserved for underperforming Seattle franchises.

2 comments:

TeacherRefPoet said...

It's weird, watching a game we're losing and feeling optimistic about it. I'm not accustomed to that feeling.

Guardado looks awful, including last night. Two hits in an inning is, alas, typical for him. He's deadweight on the team right now...too expensive to get rid of, too bad to use.

Jim Anderson said...

It was last night where optimism went unrewarded and the Mariners got baffled by a pitcher who had never before hurled a shutout. *sigh*