Jun 24, 2006

an official start to summer

Though school ended Wednesday, I spent the last two days there grading and cleaning, my wife joining me on Friday so I wouldn't have to head in today. We packed books from one shelf to another, filled the recycling bin with paper, took down posters, threw away anything I couldn't justify keeping, all without the benefit of World Cup football in the background because the cable was turned off. Six solid hours of labor interrupted by a visit to the Taco Bus (mmm... Taco Bus) and capped with a quick meal at Brewery City Pizza (the best cheap dinner date in Olympia).

The day was not yet done.

I've been playing with a group of Elma musician-types for over five years now, churning out a mix of jazz, blues, and rock standards in various and sundry local gigs. By "local," I mean local to Elma. Though I've thought for a long time that we have the talent to play in Olympia, Tacoma, or even Seattle, if we really wanted, the other guys have always demurred. Our biggest accomplishment was a day at the Grays Harbor County Fair as Ciscoe Morris's follow-up.

Until last night. We were invited to jam at the Veritas Cafe on Capitol Way from 8:00 on (though it turned out to be a mistake, and we started at 8:30), and I daresay we rocked the place. It is immensely satisfying when utter strangers waltz in off the street to see who's funking up "Milk Cow Blues" or playing "Favorite Things" in 5/4 time, and loudly express their disappointment that we're not going to play until midnight because we are mortals who require rest and nourishment.

Bigger things may be in store, since the cafe's owner was hyped up on our style and gave us contacts for paying gigs. Being paid to play! That would be amazing. But even if they're not, even if I were to drop dead from a funk embolism tomorrow morning, last night's show would suffice as the concluding peak of a long amateur career.

Oh, and if you don't know, I drum for the Mike Dean Project, led by guitarist Mike Dean, with bassist Jeff Perrin, keyboardist Kent Keeran, and vocalist Kim Hinderlie. You've never heard of us? Neither have we.

No comments: