Jun 10, 2006

mixing it up: discussion strategies in the English classroom

I polled my students on their preferred discussion format out of several choices, all encountered throughout the year: whole class teacher facilitated, whole class student facilitated, whole class with Powerpoint paraphrasing and student facilitation (see below), small groups, small groups into whole class, and online. Here are their thoughts.
I think it helps when you're mediating the discussion. It helps keep it moving without a lot of clutter and I find it more interesting.

I like the Powerpoint. It helps you keep on track, if you're trying to think about something, and if you zone out, when you get lost, you can look at the board to see what you missed.... I do wish you would talk, though. It gives us reassurance to hear a bleep from your vast range of knowledge.

For me, discussing stuff in small groups works best. Then after we talk in the small groups, we come back to one big group and discuss what we talked about in the smaller groups.

The online discussions were nice because I was able to think through what I wanted to say, and then say it without worrying about a sudden change of topics.

I liked the discussions in small groups best because everyone can get a word in. Instead of calling on people you can have almost regular conversations. Also, if you don't really like to speak up in front of a lot of people it is easier.

The blog, while not anonymous, creates (at least for me) a sense of anonymity that makes it easier to just say what you want to say.
I expanded my use of Powerpoint for some whole-group discussions this year, typing the students' comments as they talked, so everyone, sitting in a horseshoe, could see my paraphrase of the conversation. I almost never talked, interrupting only to redirect a severe sidetrack or to point out when certain participants hadn't yet had a chance to join in.

It doesn't surprise me that each of the different discussion types has an equal number of adherents. If I did the same thing every time, not only would my students die of boredom, but I would, too.

4 comments:

Jim Anderson said...

student teacher, the blog our school uses was designed by teachers here, so whenever I discover strange features or glitches I can have them fixed almost immediately. Thankfully, nothing like that's ever happened.

I agree that group discussions aren't for everyone--which is why when we have them, I reward people for taking notes as well as for contributing, and often have them write down their response before the discussion begins. If they're uncomfortable, they can at least read what they wrote and call it good.

TeacherRefPoet said...

I have very mixed opinions therein. It's my job to teach communciation via reading, writing, and speaking. This means that I need students to speak sometimes, whether they're comfortable with it or not. I find shrinking the group size or putting all quiet kids in the same group are helpful techniques for getting kids out there, but writing down answers in advance is a good idea I'll try. I'm also considering giving the kids poker chips--three white, one red, and one blue. You speak, you throw in a white chip. You want to ask a question, and it has to be done now...red chip. You must speak now and cut in line? Blue chip. Are you out of chips? You don't get to talk anymore.

D'ya think that'll work?

Jim Anderson said...

I like it for two reasons. First, it just might achieve the goal of getting a quiet one to speak.

Second, it would be a great activity to open up a discussion on the economics of "free" speech.

TeacherRefPoet said...

I was considering adding a caveat that one can make up the discussion points (or more likely a fraction thereof) by writing a paragraph per unspent chip.