May 25, 2006

last word on the Wellness Walk

It was a "quiet protest," indeed.
They didn’t carry signs or shout chants.

But the roughly 200 teachers who quietly walked about a mile along Legion Way on Wednesday had a message for the Olympia School District administration: “We deserve better.”
We walked in waves from Sylvester Park to the district building, about two hundred teachers and family members in total, presenting little form letters asking for fair compensation.

The weather threatened rain, but never delivered. I took the opportunity to walk all the way from Capital to the downtown, stopping for just a moment to chat with a crossing guard about our efforts. To clear up one misconception: we left after school. It wasn't a walkout.

My wife came and walked with me all the way. After the walk and dinner, she dropped me off at the school so I could prepare for Arts and Recognition Night. When I left school at 8:15, the sun pierced the clouds and a rainbow cut a swath over the downtown. I'll take the weather as a divine omen when it suits me.

Added: Here's Justin Vela's perspective.

No comments: