Feb 8, 2006

over and out

"It was the truth, vivid and monstrous, that all the while he had waited the wait was itself his portion."

Henry James, The Beast in the Jungle


I called the jury hotline again, awaiting the soothing voice that tells you to wait until the end of the message, yes, listen to the whole thing, the entirety, wait for it, it's coming, steady as she goes, and...

Nothing. "There are no more trials set to begin this week. Your service has ended."

I'm unnecessary. Superfluous. Discarded by democracy. Jilted by justice.

And boy oh boy am I disappointed. No, really. I wanted jury duty, inconvenient as it might have been. I missed the trial of the century.
A Thurston County woman pleaded not guilty today to allegations that her bulldog bit a man’s testicle.

Christy L. Sweren-Hinen, 51, is charged in Thurston County Superior Court with owning a dangerous dog that attacked a person, a felony. She is also charged with first-degree trespassing, a gross misdemeanor. She was arraigned before Judge Chris Wickham.
It may be years before I'm called again. Life isn't fair.

No comments: