Jan 17, 2006

select company

Got several gift cards to Barnes and Noble this Christmas, including one from my brother and sister-in-law, promptly spent on Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman!, which everyone ought to read at least once annually. (Thank you, Matt and Charity!)

But they're not all gone, which brings me to my conundrum. When it comes to books, I'm even stingier than usual--the library is free, after all--so I buy only books that are really, really worthwhile.

Recommend a book I'll enjoy for a lifetime, and if I purchase that book, you'll receive lifetime membership in an exclusive group: People I Admire Almost as Much as Richard Feynman.

5 comments:

MT said...

The Metaphysical Foundations of Modern Science by Burtt (not of Ernie fame) blew my mind once way back when. Never reread it, but then I don't reread. Fiction-wise I'll recommend Such a Long Journey by Mistry, and while I'm in India _A Suitable Boy_ by Vikram Seth.

Unknown said...

Peter Jackson's "King Kong" the junior novelization.

TeacherRefPoet said...

-Truth and Beauty-. Ann Patchett.
-Yes Man-. Danny Wallace.
-Different Hours.- Poetry by Stephen Dunn.
-Velocities.- Poetry by Stephen Dobyns.

Jim Anderson said...

murky, I might go for A Fine Balance instead of Such a Long Journey, but Mistry's definitely on the list.

tachyix, I never read books based on movies.

trp, Yes Man is number two on my list. I don't buy poetry sight unseen, though, even on a strong recommendation.

Thanks, all.

MT said...

Thought of another: Robert Wright's "The Moral Animal." It's one-stop world-view shopping.