Jan 23, 2006

meme-hunting

You might have seen this hackneyed sermon illustration while browsing through Kirk Cameron's website. It takes various forms--sometimes paragraphs are cut out, sometimes words are changed--but the basic story goes like this: An African pastor is martyred for his faith in Christ. After his death, these inspirational lines are found:
“I’m part of the fellowship of the unashamed, the die has been cast, I have stepped over the line, the decision has been made- I’m a disciple of Jesus Christ. I won’t look back, let up, slow down, back away or be still.

My past is redeemed, my present makes sense, my future is secure. I’m finished and done with low living, sight walking, smooth knees, colorless dreams, tamed vision, worldly talking, cheap giving & dwarfed goals.

My face is set, my gait is fast, my goal is heaven, my road is narrow, my way is rough, my companions are few, my guide is reliable, my mission is clear. I won’t give up, shut up, let up until I have stayed up, stored up, prayed up for the cause of Jesus Christ.

I must go till He comes, give till I drop, preach till everyone knows, work till He stops me & when He comes for His own, He will have no trouble recognizing me because my banner will have been clear.”
There's disagreement as to which African nation is the source of the message. Some say Rwanda. Others say Zimbabwe or South Africa.

A pastor named David Jin claims that he found it "posted on the door of an African pastor." Or maybe it was tacked to a wall, or left on a desk or on a cot or in a Bible. Or it was a confession written in prison.

The story has been broadcast as a form of inspiration through shaming. You're not willing to die for your beliefs, are you? Would that you had such commitment! And such mastery of rhetoric!

No comments: