Oct 6, 2005

attenuated

As an English teacher, one of the most difficult changes I've made in my personality is learning to tolerate fiction that used to nauseate me. I'm talking about fantasy, its cousins anime and manga, and all the fanfic they generate.

Four years ago, if you approached me bearing The Dragonriders of Pern, I'd launch into an Emily Rose spasm, flailing, screaming, knocking over furniture. One mention of wizards or warlocks would make me reach for a straightjacket--the one I keep in a closet in my classroom, just in case. If you drew cat-eyed females with raccoon tails, I'd channel Barney Fife.

What's changed in four years?

First, I actually read a fantasy book, and found that it passed through my system without so much as a hiccup. That was two summers ago, when I sat down and devoured The Lord of the Rings in two days. Enough fantasy, really, for a lifetime.

Second, I discovered that my most prolific student writers are fantasy nuts. They publish their own websites. They read a book a week, a series a year. They fill their journals with page after page describing characters, changing endings to established stories, or writing their own fantasy novels.

What's worse--better, I mean--is that they beg for criticism, continually pestering me about sentence structure, plot suggestions, word choices, spelling, and anything else they're working on. I've even had one student request that I announce his project to all my classes, in hopes that he can get someone to coauthor a novel about a kingdom in his head.

So, what's an English teacher to do? I hold my nose and read about Voltar and Zinfis and their troubles, the good dragons Mukto and Sree, the bad dragon Mnemoh, the lush land of Lurnifia and the glistening swords and lustrous helms of all the mighty warriors in the twelve villages, and offer better ways to recount the mythic history of the Bnan.

And I keep thinking, someday you'll grow out of this and tire of the genre. Because hope springs eternal from the Fount of Falafel.

4 comments:

MT said...

Do you urge them to strive for psychological realism at least?

Jim Anderson said...

Of course. Mukto the dragon is alienated from his clan, so he's often moody and irascible.

A. Rivera said...

I came over from the Carnival of Education. Nice to see you took the step to read what your students read. There are a lot of English teachers (or other teachers for that matter) who would still refuse to learn as you are doing. You can hope, but it is likely they won't outgrow it as you hope. I know. I read some of those things as well. At any rate, I am sure they are thankful they can come to you for the criticism and feedback. Best of luck.

Jim Anderson said...

Thanks. Fantasy was a struggle, but I conquered my prejudice, and am learning to "let go." But I don't think I'll ever be able to handle "chick lit." (I say that now.)