Aug 25, 2005

the envy of nerds everywhere

It was the nerdiest thing I've--we've--ever done. My wife and I originally decided to honeymoon in D.C. because we're nerds. We love history and politics and museums and volunteer tour guides and factoids without end.

So I was (I confess) reading Hit and Run in my hotel room late Wednesday when I saw that Reason Magazine was hosting a biotech panel discussion at the Marriott a few blocks from our hotel, and I thought of the chance to meet some of my favorite columnists and sit in on an uber-nerdy conversation, maybe hobnob with some Beltway types and score some free snacks.

I asked my wife if we could go. She said yes. I repeat: she said yes!

"Can I marry her, too?" asked a to-be-unnamed Reason writer upon hearing this story at the informal post-forum gabfest / hors d'oeuvres grab. "You're my new favorite couple," said a friendly young woman obviously in awe of our fantastic heights of nerdiness.

Anyway, it's late, and I'm blogging from my hotel room on my honeymoon, which is probably a cardinal sin, and I have to get up early to drive to Yorktown tomorrow.

More on the discussion later. Ciao.

No comments: