Jun 8, 2005

more crankitude

Reading PZ Myers on Pinkoski, a crank of cranks, I am reminded of the work of Peter S. Ruckman, a fundamentalist who believes that the King James Version is the only TRUE WORD of GOD. (I won't include a link to his website at his request, but if you Google Peter S. Ruckman, he's the first person to pop up.)

I first discovered his work while an undergraduate, browsing through the religion stacks of my college library. I couldn't put it down--there's something inherently captivating about a mind skirting the edge of insanity. The vitriol, the vituperation, the absolute certainty in absurdity.

I am convinced that there is a general crank personality that borders on paranoid schizophrenia, or is perhaps its own brand of mental illness. One sure way to identify a crank is his consistent use of ALL CAPITAL LETTERS in order to prove a VERY IMPORTANT POINT. Another is her ability to see patterns and connections in coincidence and randomness.



Update: Welcome, readers of Pharyngula. Other posts you might be interested in, all related to Intelligent Design: a moment of truth, information please, and pro-neo-darwinism.

No comments: