May 26, 2005

girls eating maggots

Shocked by the title? You aren't completely desensitized yet? You can still see with those eyes? You know what bile tastes like? You're tasting it now from just thinking about tasting it? (Perhaps it's contagious, like yawning. You just yawned, didn't you.)

Jody Folkedahl, an award-winning art major on the Dean's List at Southern Oregon University, is reveling in a little mock scandal.
The piece was titled "Bustamante," after Folkedahl's art professor, Cody Bustamante. The canvas included the words: "and she was thinking about her painting professor."

It wasn't the full-frontal nude which caused the painting to be removed, but rather the title which "singled out" a university member, said gallery adviser Karen Finnegan.

The 21-year-old Folkedahl, a native of Roseburg, said the painting grew out of a conversation with her art professor in which Bustamante "said it would be difficult if not impossible these days to create any art that would shock or offend people," said Folkedahl.
I leave it to you, dear reader, to suggest what the next shock-art tactic will be, now that this one's taken.


[thirteenth in a series]

2 comments:

Jim Anderson said...

Talena,

First off, thanks for stopping by. Second, I'd like to address some of your concerns.

I'm a high school English teacher from Olympia, Washington. My identity isn't exactly secret, but there are a heck of a lot of Jim Andersons out there, so Googling me won't tell you much.

I wasn't being "creepy" for linking to Jody's accomplishments; it's what any reporter would do when covering a story. That information is (obviously) in the public domain. It's not like I've exposed some rotten details of her personal life, or listed her phone number. And I'm not "stalking" Jody; I originally wrote this post because I found her story interesting, and for some reason Google has catapulted my entry to near the top of its search results, so a lot of people have come by looking for information on Jody Folkedahl.

Jody doesn't strike me as someone who shuns attention, given her accomplishments. You, as her friend, obviously would know more about that than I would.

I don't intend to blog about Jody any more, unless she chooses to come by and answer some of my questions. I welcome her to use this blog as a forum; I'd be glad to be another mouthpiece for her ideas about art. Free publicity--what could be better for an artist?

Anonymous said...

I know jody, talena AND cody...uhhh...It's ME...alan arthur hewitt...hi....