Jun 9, 2004

what's the deal?

New Scientist, my favorite magazine of all time, recently sent me this insulting letter:


Dear Subscriber:

Time and money are important to everyone....

If you renew within seven days, you will be able to take advantage of the best offer we can make on your subscription price [$69 for 51 issues]....

I also want to take this opportunity to tell you that we appreciate your support. And we are making this ONE-TIME renewal offer as our way of saying "thanks".


Now, I'm not one to argue with scientists. But several things struck me as annoying, and outright false.

First, I'm not "Subscriber." Anyone with half an hour's experience using a database knows how to enter a field name, and make the form letter seem at least a tad bit personal. C'mon, guys.

Also, it may be the best deal they'll offer me, but it's not the best deal out there--new American subscribers can get a year subscription for just $51. That's how much I paid when I signed up.

Miffed, I called the subscription line. I spoke with a kindly gentleman, and asked, "So, isn't it a form of punishment--charging more to returning customers?"

His answer: "Well, in a sense, yes."

He then recommended that I let my subscription expire in November, and then sign up again at the discount rate.

Can't fault him for that.

No comments: